Saturday, January 17, 2009

small furry thing

Melbourne the black bear hamster has been in my care for around 24 hours now and I already see her personality.

A few things:
-Mel is overconfident. Minnie(cat) is fierce. Mickie(cat) is a wuss. He bolts from the hamster ball and hides in the closet. Minnie stalks Mel, then jumps back when the plastic ball bumps her nose.

Mel climbs everything but the platforms and tubes in his enclosure, then falls off and tumbles. Repeat.

Mel likes running on top of the wheel.

Mel picks through his food and can deep- throat a baby carrot. Or pack it in his cheek. Whatever.

Mel sometimes has all paws in the air when cleaning herself. A self- cleaning hamster, btw, is completely adorable.

My mother is afraid of touching her. We're working on that.

Fun fact: Hamsters are nocturnal and their favorite thins are the noisy ones. Last night I slept like a new mother, only without getting up every time I woke. I stepped out of bed at 8:30 on a Saturday, goddamnit.

Oh oh oh, now Mel is chasing Minnie around my room in his little hamster ball! Pussy.

You see what I did there?

No comments: